Wednesday, April 7, 2010

biodiversity

The readings for tomorrow, "biodiversity and the human prospect" and "interpreting biodiversity" made me think a lot about earth's natural desire to recycle and what it means to conserve. I found it interesting that this planet has undergone previous extinctions and has rebounded significantly and even more prosperously after. It causes one to wonder if the efforts to conserve will be fruitless because of the natural cycle of how things should be. This doesn't mean that no efforts should be put forth. I think conservation is very beneficial. I like the idea of environmental interpretive centers and think that they provide a positive experience for people who seek them out. I know that when I go hiking or visit a national park I like to read about the environment I'm in and it's nice to know that it's protected and cared for. I think spreading awareness of the looming ecological problem is a good step in prevention and the museums are a great place to educate people. It will be difficult to educate and spark activism throughout the entire human population however. There's just so many...so many houses, buildings, so much trash. So many questions about where to go from here? How do we stop it all? One wonders if maybe the earth should be recycled, if maybe there's nothing we can do to stop it. Human selfishness is undeniable. For instance in the first reading, "Biodiversity also contributes to our emotional and psychological well-being" and "Biological diversity enriches the quality of our lives". It makes one wonder what is the real reason scientists and activists want to conserve the biodiversity of our planet. Is it for the benefit of the planet, nature and all life forms, or for the benefit of the human race?





biodiversity and the human prospect
interpreting biodiversity
science at the museum
education at the musem

1 comment:

  1. the last four lines were for reference. I didn't mean to post them.

    ReplyDelete