Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In the reading "Exhibiting Evolution: Diversity, Order and the Construction of Nature" I found it very interesting how Asma explained how one interbreeding population gets transformed into two different and reproductively isolated populations. This was something I had always wondered about and I thought he did a thorough job in explaining it. Asma's personal accounts of various world-wide museums was very interesting in relation to the AMNH. It makes me think of the permanent skepticism of this science, and how all museums of natural history will forever be challenged, questioned and forced to explain themselves and/or change things based on public demands. The fact that science will continue to advance and theories will continue to be revised or disproven, makes for a tough job for modern museums of natural history and science.
In chapter 6, I found the statistics about creationism vs. evolution beliefs shocking. For some reason, I thought that the general population was becoming more open-minded. Clearly evolution theory wins the debate with hard evidence. This quote really struck me, "Snobby urban college boys like me are looking down their noses at the hardworking middle-class rural folks who have built their lives on family values and belief in God's plan, and we're calling them unsophisticated bumpkins." In someone that disapproves of religious theories and does side with the theory of evolution, I believe that Asma's words represent the truth in many ways, but at the same time, these so-called bumpkins are part of an isolated species in themselves and that should be considered when harshly denouncing their views.

No comments:

Post a Comment